Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Kane Watch: Thanks, Gene**

You know, I was surfin around the net tonight looking for some inspiration, when I decided to check in on my old standby, Eugene Kane. As usual, he did not disappoint.

I don't know how I missed this one, but on Wednesday, he wrote, "I never said I didn't root for white American athletes. Actually, what I said was that most years, the Winter Olympics were too boring to watch."

Maybe he should have scrolled down and checked out what he actually did say, because an earlier post (the one right below the above, actually) states, "Some of the same people are mad at Bryant Gumbel - and me - for acknowledging that some blacks don't follow winter Olympics because there are not many black athletes to cheer for."

Call me crazy, but those don't seem to jive.

The reality is, there was nothing funny about what Bryant Gumbel said. At least one minority writer at JS seems to agree. And she also notices the double standard that is prevalent when blacks talk about whites in a disrespectful manner.

I think Eugene has a point when he says that people need to relax a little when talking about racial realities in America. However, I don't think that undermining the validity of the Olympic Games is a good way to start.

**Note to Xoff: While I do not personally know the man, I have taken the liberty of referring to him as "Gene." I would like to make it clear that I do so with no intention of offending anyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home