Monday, February 27, 2006

Missing the Point

Typically, I'm a big fan of Jenna's musings at Right off the Shore, but I think she missed the point in this recent post.

Her comments pertain to an article in the Portage Daily Register that reports the number of abortions in the state and, particularly, the county are down. Reasons cited for the decrease involve education, access to birth control and emergency contraception.

Jenna writes of the article, "I disagree with some of the reasons why given, but this is good news, regardless."

I'd like to know with which portion of the article she disagrees. In third world countries, for example, education, or rather lack thereof, is cited as the main reason for increased pregnancy rates. Combine that lack of education with religious beliefs that either prevent contraception or a literal lack of contraception, and you've got a recipe for skyrocketting pregnancy rates.

To be sure, the WHO conducted a survey on Unwanted Pregnancies that revealed,
"In every setting, sexual activity begins during adolescence among many young people. Much of this activity is risky, contraceptive use is often erratic, and unwanted pregnancy and unsafe abortions are observed in many settings. Sexual relations may be forced. There are wide gender-based differences in sexual conduct, and in the ability to negotiate sexual activity and contraceptive use. Despite this, relatively few young people think they are at risk of disease or unwanted pregnancy. Awareness of safe sex practices seems to be superficial, and misinformation regarding the risks and consequences of unsafe sex is widespread."

Their conclusion:
A number of recommendations are offered on the basis of the summary review of these case studies. These include programmatic recommendations to build negotiation skills, dispel misconceptions, counter sexual violence, involve young people in programme design, tailor fertility regulation services to meet young people'’s needs, and communicate the message that every unprotected sexual act risks disease and unwanted pregnancy.

Sounds to me like this education/contraception thing just may be based in fact. I think those guys at WHO know what they're talking about.

Jenna also took issue with the
following comment made by Sauk County Public Health Director Bev Muhlenbeck:

...educating people on birth control methods is the key to reducing numbers of abortions. Abortions are public health failures, she said.

Jenna writes, "Is she advocating more of a welfare state in order to encourage and convince women that they can "afford" to have a child? Or is she simply saying that education on the consequences of unprotected sexual activity is a "public" issue?"

You're damn straight it's a public issue! But seriously, what confuses me about Jenna's statement is the fact that with fewer unwanted pregnancies, there is less of a need for welfare. As such, how could it not be a public issue? I don't know about you, but I'd prefer that people are educated about contraceptive choices rather than have a baby that I end up paying for. Additionally, the cost of education pales in comparison to the cost of an uninsured/unwanted pregnancy.

Unwanted pregnancies start a vicious cycle. Young, unwed mothers have babies which they can't afford. Mom goes on welfare and Dad is nowhere to be found. Starting from poverty, that kid's life is that much harder. Not to mention growing up around the situations present in many low-income housing complexes (gangs, drugs, etc.) and I tell you what Jenna, I'd much rather pay for education than continue to pay the welfare, the higher insurance rates, the electric bills of the local jail and the list goes on and on.

The cycle ends with education. Period.

3 Comments:

At 10:43 PM, February 27, 2006, Blogger J said...

Wow, Cantankerous, really wish ya would have asked before you went off on me.

Of course I support education of contraception and abstinence. I support available contraception. I think those are two fantastic ways to lower the abortion rate, although it should be banned.

What I took issue with in the article, and what I do NOT and Never WILL support is the use of welfare programs and state expenditures on public welfare programs to lower the abortion rate. A few of the comments in the article made it seem as though some felt with increased availablity and amount of welfare programs, women felt more secure to have their children.

That is BS. Welfare should not be allowing women to "feel more secure" in giving their child LIFE. Welfare/government/taxpayers should not be a social safety net for those not willing to earn their own damn money.

I also don't feel it is

 
At 10:44 PM, February 27, 2006, Blogger J said...

Crap....

I also don't feel it is a public issue to educate children about the consequences of sexual activity. That is the parent's job, primarily. Do public schools have a small role? Yes. But should it be considered solely a "public", i.e. government issue? Hell no.

 
At 11:32 PM, February 27, 2006, Blogger Tanker311 said...

Hey Jenna,

I guess this is where I direct you to my opening comment in which I stated that I'm a big fan. This is what I call a friendly difference of opinion. I'm not sounding off on ya. I swear. I sound off on Xoff. *grin*

Alright, I took another look at the article, and I think I get what you're saying now. Tell me if I'm wrong, but you're problem is with this:

"Susan Lorenz, health officer for Columbia County, said she didn't have concrete facts as to why the number has dropped but surmised it was because of a number of factors, including better access to birth control and more women deciding to keep their child because of solid support systems.

She pointed to the Family Resource Center, Early Headstart, WIC and several health department programs as ways for young mothers or couples to get help."

I guess what confuses me about this is if you are so against abortion, then wouldn't you want programs in place that assist women in actually having the child? Obviously, you're not, given your comments. But I think this is contradictory to your pro-life stance.

Lastly, and I can tell you're fired up here, in response to your second comment, I find I have trouble accepting your position because you are assuming that the people who are in need of these government programs actually have parents to replace them.

I think this is a case of the way things should be...and the way things are. I agree with you. Parents should educate their kids on this matter. However, I think, in reality, there aren't enough of them around to do so.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home