Saturday, February 11, 2006

Question...

Why is it that members of Congress are on the federal payroll?

For that matter, why does the federal government get to say how states choose their representatives?

I know, I know...it's all in the Constitution.

But while I'm willing to accept a federal mandate that each state gets two senators and X amount of representatives, why shouldn't the states get to determine how those people are chosen? What business is it of the federal government how long they serve? Or how often we vote for them?

Or how they're compensated?

I'm certainly not questioning the role they play in our government. All I'm questioning is how they get to play that role.

And who signs the paycheck.

A little change like that might go a long way.

4 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, February 12, 2006, Blogger Michael said...

I may be mistaken, but I believe the states can choose the manner in which they choose their representatives.

 
At 2:48 PM, February 12, 2006, Blogger David Casper said...

Elliot, is it just a matter of tradition, then, that every state has 6 year and 2 year terms?

 
At 10:32 PM, February 12, 2006, Blogger David Casper said...

I'll update that...I know for a fact the 6 year term for Senators is in the Constitution.

 
At 11:21 PM, February 12, 2006, Blogger Michael said...

I was wrong as usual.

I thought I had remembered something about the state legislatures or governors being able to appoint representatives, but apparently that was before the Constitution was amended to provide for direct elections.

Next time I'll look stuff up BEFORE I answer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home