Saturday, March 11, 2006

Nichols Right on Target

Mike Nichols has an excellent piece today confronting the claim that perhaps Steven Avery became a "monster" as a result of serving time for a crime he did not commit.

Apparently, the national attention this heinous crime is garnering is producing some ignorant folks who take a breif look at the details and think there is a bigger "story" behind it all. I hate Hollywood.

It all started because, according to Nichols: A woman from the East Coast called me a couple weeks ago saying she was planning to make a movie about Steven Avery.

I think that anyone who wants to make a movie about Steven Avery should have their head examined. Nichols, on the other hand, says he can see how some may see that there's a story there, but goes on to lay any ideas about an innocent-man-turned-villain-in-prison to rest.

I found this to be a compelling piece of information: Avery, quite famously, did serve some 18 years after that. Rarely noted is that, during the first six or so years, he was serving concurrent sentences for what he did to his cousin.

And I found Nichols' conclusion to be right on target:
If Steven Avery did what they say he did, it's shocking. But it isn't ironic. Or, looking back 25 years, completely out of the blue.

You can check out the entire article here.

3 Comments:

At 2:26 PM, March 11, 2006, Blogger Billiam said...

I don't think I buy that. Apparently Avery had problems BEFORE he went to jail.

 
At 2:39 PM, March 11, 2006, Blogger Tanker311 said...

billiam,

That's what he's saying.

 
At 2:57 PM, March 11, 2006, Blogger Billiam said...

Ah, I guess I should have read the column. I'm not awake yet, I guess. I know, piss poor excuse. I think I also missed the word "confronted". I'm more awake now, though. I'll run my head into the wall as punishment. Wait, that might irritate my neighbors.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home