Thursday, April 13, 2006

Kane Watch: Is Eugene Illiterate or Ignorant?

Leave it to good ol' Gene Kane to once again misrepresent a story. In this bog post, Kane says:

...it's pretty certain that some blacks think more immigration will take away jobs from African-Americans.


And then he links to a story where the headline reads:

Are Undocumented Immigrants Taking Jobs from Blacks?


For those of you who haven't been paying attention, undocumented means illegal. According to the article, blacks are showing concerns over illegal immigration. They aren't anti-immigration. They're anti-illegal immigration. I really doubt he's illiterate, so did Kane read the article and just ignore what it was saying? Or is it that this story simply didn't fit his template of African-American liberal group think and he sub-consciously made it so?

Lastly, the following two statements give me a sickening feeling:
I hope this doesn't become a divisive issue between blacks and Latinos who just want equal opportunity to make a better life for themselves.

But it does have the potential of being a source of contention between the country's two largest minority groups.


What makes it sickening? It's that I can't help but think that in Eugene Kane's mind there's some sort of Black/Latino vs. White, us vs. them, battle going on.

And he doesn't want it to stop.

Maybe I should get half his column.

2 Comments:

At 6:43 PM, April 13, 2006, Blogger samrocha said...

Hi, I enjoyed your article on immigration, I think this is a very important dialogue to have and that Bloggers are making the climate very democratic. Feel free to look at some of my posts on the issue at my blog www.debaterelatepontificate.blogspot.com

 
At 10:55 AM, April 14, 2006, Blogger Michael said...

I don't blame him for hoping the situation is black+latino against white+asian.

Because if I were latino, I'd know which culture I'd like to join.

;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home