Saturday, May 06, 2006

Wal-Mart Sucks

If and when the day arrives where Wal-Mart starts paying its employees what so many of its critics demand, I would expect a good portion of its current staff to be receiving pink slips shortly thereafter.

By increasing pay and benefits, it would seem Wal-Mart would in turn be able to attract a higher caliber of employee. Short of that, it could certainly increase the expectations it places on the people that work there now.

Did it ever occur anyone that Wal-Mart gets what it pays for? Or that the employees it has are only worth what Wal-Mart is willing to pay them?

I'm talking about clerks, cashiers and stockers who don't seem to have a problem with loudly using four-letter words in conversations with one another. Or who see fit to ignore a customer at their register while crudely questioning the sexuality of a co-worker. Or who have to have it pointed out to them by a patron that they just said "next" at the so-called "customer service" desk and shouldn't proceed to start up a conversation with the cashier next to them while the customer waits for it to finish.

These aren't training issues. These are issues of common sense. They are examples of behavior lacking in the simple decency any employer should expect a person to bring to the table before training even starts.

Maybe Wal-Mart's critics need to stop complaining about the mega-retailer and start praising it. Because without Wal-Mart, where would the very bottom of America's employable work?

3 Comments:

At 12:39 AM, May 07, 2006, Blogger Joey said...

Ditto. Overall, I'm fed up with people whining about Wal-Mart for being a giant corp. that doesn't pay it's employees enough. I agree with that sentiment, but it's why I don't shop there. Other stores have much better service. It's called the free market, and more people should try to influence it rather than asking their government to do the influencing for them.

 
At 4:03 AM, May 07, 2006, Blogger Billiam said...

With regard to the behavior, I see that all over the place. It's a combination of too much Dr. Spock/Mommmy and Daddy are my friend, ie; bad brought-ups. It's only worsened by employers who won't demand better. Yes, pay comes into it to a certain extent, but, I was raised to always do my best at whatever job I had, and to be grateful to have a job. Maybe much of that is lost today.

 
At 9:46 AM, May 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post is about half of the reason that I don't shop at Wally World. I agree, I don't think that the AVERAGE staffer at Walmart knows the concept of customer service, or the work TACT.

The other reason that I don't shop there is that it is over-merchandised. They already have very small shopping carts, and you cant take two carts side by side down the same aisle. I am not a claustophobic person, but I feel too boxed in to enjoy spending money there.

I like Target much better. It is cleaner, more open, and the associates working there are much friendlier, polite, and customer orientated.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home