Sunday, June 11, 2006

Temptation

I have a question for other bloggers.

Ask Me Later enjoys exposure to approximately 50 readers a day. By no means does this make us "big media," but it does mean that 50 people who would not normally get to hear our opinions get to.

Lucky them.

So, my question is, how often have you considered using your blog for evil? How often have you thought, "if I blogged about this, that would show 'em!"? With what frequency have you had to stop yourself from posting something not necessicarily because you didn't think anyone would care to read about it, but because you thought it might be petty or just uncalled for?

Blogging can be cathartic. But once you're "exposed," be it by being added to a far more popular blogroll or by just attracting that regular readership, is your cathartic release inhibited?

Or is it just me?

6 Comments:

At 5:11 AM, June 12, 2006, Blogger grumps said...

If I have to ask the question, "How will this affect my credibility later?" I leave the post as a draft. If it still seems like a good idea 72 hours later I'll usually post it.

I've known for 20 years that I'm a better writer when I have a good editor. I'm self editing on the blog so I have to step back every once in a while just to see what measure of lunacy I'm willing to post.

That not only lessens the danger of logorrhea but has kept me from jumping into a pile of muck when the facts are still up in the air.

 
At 6:40 AM, June 12, 2006, Blogger Billiam said...

I don't even think about it. I guess, because I don't hold grudges, or stay angry long. It's not worth it to me. No one I know personally has angered me enough for the anger to last more than, say, 15 minutes or so. I don't think I would anyway. It wouldn't be right. If I disagree with some pundit, or another blogger, I may post, but I won't get vicious.

 
At 7:40 AM, June 12, 2006, Blogger James Wigderson said...

I self-censor something 2-3 times a week. I work it out later as road rage.

 
At 9:56 AM, June 12, 2006, Blogger Michael said...

What?

We're NOT supposed to be using our blogs for evil?

Are you sure?

This could pose a problem.

 
At 9:16 PM, June 12, 2006, Blogger J said...

I have way too many drafts saved that I never published, either because I couldn't due to my job, or because I heard something but couldn't reveal sources, or I just ranted/typed and decided not to publish it.

That's the nice thing about blogging, I think, is the ability to kind of sit back and rethink your first instincts.

 
At 12:07 PM, June 14, 2006, Blogger Disgruntled Car Salesman said...

I would like to think that in the blogging heyday, when I still cared, I posted evil crap all the time. Now that I really don't care about politics as much (long story), I post more infrequently and without as much passion. Ahh well, no one really reads my stuff anyways.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home