Thursday, July 13, 2006

Acting Like an Ass Does Not Make You Cool

Maybe it's the defiant nature in me to want to put a Part II to Charlie's post tonight about skanky girls. So here it goes, and I'll call mine, "Acting like an ass does not make you cool."

I am inclined to agree with most of what Charlie has written. There's nothing that irritates me more than a skanky girl acting stupid to get attention. Anyone that knows me also knows that I am very likely to point this fact out to said girls. I bartended on the east side for years, so Lord knows I've seen a fair share of them. My line of note was always, "Acting stupid does not make you sexy. It just makes you stupid."

That said, there is just one part of this whole argument that inevitably guys say although they have absolutely no idea about that which they're talking. Per Charlie's argument, it usually goes something like this: "...especially since few girls that young really understand what teenage boys are really like." Do guys really believe this?

The one double-standard that's always bugged the hell out of me is this idea that teenage girls aren't full of hormones, too. It's like someone somewhere wrote on some wall that boys are the only ones affected by sex, ideas about sex and sexy looking things.

I'm here to state for once and for all that it's just plain crap. Teenage girls are just as horny as any teenage guy I ever knew. We just weren't allowed to be so obvious about it. And hey, bottom line is we have more riding on sex than any guy (especially since this government has decided to limit women's access to birth control). What that amounts to is not that teenage girls are less sexual but rather that girls are just plain better at using judgment than are boys. I suppose if boys had pregnancy on the line, they'd be able to slow themselves down a little, too.

Furthermore, the fact that teenage boys are so often let off the hook for their obnoxious behavior because of their "hormones" only assists those girls who learn that acting skanky is an easy way to get a lot of things. Don't think for a second that these girls don't know what they're doing, because they do.

As a young woman, every girl faces a decision about the type of attention she wants. Some of us don't get to decide: we're just not hot and learn that there are other ways of being noticed. Some of us have that forced on us: we're just pretty and learn at a young age that the only thing people care about when you're a girl is how you look and that can be used to your advatage or you can be used by it. Some of us get into sports and learn that doing is better than watching. Whatever way it goes, all girls know exactly how teenage boys are and they chose to ignore, to use it or to be used by it.

Hence the title to this article, what I like to think of as the other side of the story: Acting like an ass does not make you cool. If some girls act like skanks to get attention, then a whole helluva lot of guys act like complete morons for no other reason than to act like complete morons.

What I really want to know is what guy wrote where that being the loudest, most obnoxious asshole in the room is the coolest thing to do when you're a teenage boy? That one always perplexes me. What's even more vexing is that guys continue to believe this theory well into their twenties and even thirties. Think I'm wrong? Did you go to Summerfest at all? That's what I thought.

So, where did that one come from? Oh let me guess: It's just the hormones.

1 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, July 14, 2006, Blogger Disgruntled Car Salesman said...

I hope that obnoxious thing in certain east side bars was not directed at me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home