Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Insensitive American

Is it really a surprise that British theme park Alton Towers has called off "Muslim Fun Day"? Okay, maybe I'm just an insensitive American, but that headline was way too tempting.

Although in this case the event was set up by muslims for muslims, the article does beg a larger question: Just how far should a dominate culture go to accommodate a minority? Obviously, in a capitalistic society, demand will dictate the choice of supply for business owners, as was the case with Alton Towers.

Nevertheless, can an argument be made that a dominate culture should make efforts to accommodate a minority regardless of the economics?

Thoughts? Comments?

Personally, I do not think a dominate culture should be forced to make changes to accommodate foreigners/immigrants. I support the model of capitalism, but really it's a principles thing with me. I wouldn't go to France and expect everyone to speak English and to set of fireworks on the 4th of July, so why should minorities that go to other countries expect that schools will change the way basketball games are played or amend dress codes to accommodate their culture?

I guess I should point out that I'm one of those people who thinks all government documents should only be printed in English. And, I wouldn't really go to France, but that's a whole other topic. I guess I'm just curious to see how others feel on the matter.

3 Comments:

At 10:51 PM, August 02, 2006, Blogger Josh Schroeder said...

I can't think of one joke in response to this post that would not jeopardize a future career in politics.

 
At 10:55 PM, August 02, 2006, Blogger Tanker311 said...

I'm telling ya....it was a real struggle to cut myself off where I did.

 
At 8:22 AM, August 03, 2006, Blogger Nick said...

I think its an interesting idea actually. Of course you could look at it as going out of your way to accomodate a minority culture (growing less of a minority in England every day though)... or you could look at it as a way of trying to cash in.

If it were successful... imagine the whole huge market that might open up to serve that group of people. When in business... you can either compete for marketshare, or you can create new markets. Trying to steal marketshare only goes so far.

Obviously this idea failed... but that doesn't mean it wasn't worth a try from a business persepctive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home