Monday, October 09, 2006

Hey Elliot: Why I Support the Death Penalty

Elliot started up a good topic, and asked why some people are in favor of the death penalty. He says that for those of us who support the death penalty, it's now our chance to change his mind.

Well, Elliot, ask and you shall receive. Here are just two of the many reasons I could give for supporting the death penalty: Richard Davis and Dena Riley.

What did they do that was so horrible? I think it was put best by Clay County prosecutor Dan White, who, when describing this particular case said, "the crime against Ricci qualifies for the death penalty because it was outrageously or wantonly vile, horrible or inhuman and involved depravity of mind."

If you want to know the details, you can find them here.

Some people argue that the death penalty should be in place because it will prevent crime. I disagree with that. I have a hard time believing that the death penalty would stop even one-tenth of the murders that go on in Milwaukee.

Others argue that the death penalty should be in place so that the state shouldn't have to pay for these people to live. The counter-argument usually goes something like: It costs more to kill a person than it does to feed them. I don't know which is true; I don't care, either.

I support the death penalty because I can't think of a more terrifying way to die than to know exactly when it was going to happen. I also believe that people like Richard Davis and Dena Kelly deserve the most terrifying death they can legally receive. At the very least, they deserve a good tattoo.

Personally, I'd be more happy if they could be ripped limb, from limb and fed to dogs, but I don't foresee that happening. Luckily, in Missouri, these pigs will be put to death, one way or another.

Elliot, it's my opinion that if a crime can be summarized as outrageously or wantonly vile, horrible or inhuman and involving depravity of mind then I really don't have a problem with a civilized society doing away with the source of it.

I don't believe that the "Right to Life" protects anyone who has murdered, in a vile and unscrupulous way, another individual. I believe, to quote Walter Sobchak, "Over this line you do not cross!"

I believe evil people can be put to death for the same reasons I believe evil governments can be overthrown. Both situations rest on qualifying myself or others as capable of determining that someone or something is "evil" to begin with.

And besides, at least when a criminal dies from lethal injection or electrocution they are given a certain amount of dignity their victims never received: A judge, a jury and advocates to ensure that they are treated humanely.


4 Comments:

At 7:28 AM, October 10, 2006, Blogger Michael said...

Thanks.

There are people I would happily pull the trigger on myself.

There is a particular child murderer I think of whenever this topic comes up.

And if there was already a death penalty in Wisconsin, I'd be all for it.

But my reluctance stems from the feeling that when I mark the "yes" option on my ballot for the death penalty, it will be as if I personally I'm pushing the plunger on everyone the state ever kills from then onward.

I'm sure it seems silly and almost superstitious, but the thought gives me pause.

 
At 8:33 AM, October 10, 2006, Blogger Dad29 said...

The traditional justification for the death penalty is that the perp (fairly tried and convicted, of course) would be 'a danger to the State' were he/she to be alive.

What 'danger to the State' exists when someone is in a SuperMax?

 
At 11:00 AM, October 18, 2006, Blogger Owen said...

He is a danger to the other prisoners and guards. Don't their lives count too?

 
At 9:14 PM, October 20, 2006, Blogger Renees Take said...

So how much are you willing to RAISE YOUR TAXES TO PAY FOR THIS???

New York and New Jersey have spent over $360 million to reinstate their death penalty and no one has been put to death yet in their exhaustive and ridiculous 10 year waste of taxpayer money...

NOW THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT REPEALING IT AGAIN TO STOP THE FISCAL BLEEDING!!! (Sorry for the pun...)

This is by far the WORST example of unnecessary, runaway fiscally irresponsible, GOP bullsh*t.

Bait and switch, bait and switch...

Another unnecessary bloated waste of taxpayer dollars. You're too smart to fall for this...

How much debt do you want in this state?

What happens if YOU are the one who is wrongly charged??? Go to your library and ask for The Exonerated. It's the story of 6 of 123 Americans proven to be wrongly accused and put on death row. Many more didn't get to prove their innocence in time...

Do you want to PAY MORE TAXES to have that blood on your hands?

If you are willing to pay your hard earned dollars to set up this system and then more of your money to run it for the rest of your life, go ahead, vengence can be yours instead of God's...well kind of, vengence will be at the mercy of prosecutors running expensive and high profile trials to get the free media exposure (well at tax payer cost ultimately) in election years.

(www.deathpenaltyinfo.org for the stats and facts on cost...)

If not, VOTE NO!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home