Monday, October 02, 2006

In your face!

Elliot says he plans on voting against Wisconsin's gay marriage amendment, but then adds:

But I have to admit, every time I hear someone advocating against
the amendment it makes me want to vote for it.

Why, Elliot, is that?

(Since I'll have to wait for him to respond, if he so chooses, I'm going to make an assumption. And I should also note that I plan on voting against it as well.)

Is it because opponents to the amendment are always in your face?

Stick with me here...

I've known quite a few gay men over the years, both liberal and conservative. One constant among many of them is how much they despise being generally represented (or perceived as represented) by a small group of gays who seemed to constantly want to shove homosexuality down everyone else's throats. Certainly these men would vote against the amendment (though I met one who actually voiced his support for it), but they felt it counterproductive to have some of the loudest voices speaking up for gay rights being the type of people most likely to turn off potential supporters. Overly aggressive in their tactics and approaches, they seemed to make enemies first and label anyone who disagreed with them homophobes. At that point, any chance of discourse is lost.

But this seems to be a constant theme among many liberal approaches to contentious topics. And I'd argue it's one that hurts liberal causes more than helps. Rarely are conservatives seen protesting anything. I can't remember ever having someone knock on my door to get me to sign a petition or donate money to support a conservative cause. Yet for every issue there is, you're guaranteed a liberal rally, demonstration, sit-in, canvassing, what have you, almost as much as the sun will rise in the morning.

Here in the blogosphere we have a lot of people who thrive on the day to day happenings in politics. And it's good that we have that. But it's an anomaly when compared to the greater population. For many people, all across the political spectrum, political ideology is as private (or non-existent) a matter to them as is their religion. Just as they may never think about or discuss religion unless it's a holiday or their on there way to church/synagogue/mosque, they probably don't think about the issues in politics until they walk into the voting booth.

If they ever do.

So when someone like many of the people I know, who don't feel strongly about some issues one way or the other, is suddenly having their dinner interrupted by someone who's very adamant about an issue and won't take no for answer, or has to go out of their way because a protest is jamming up city streets, and was teetering on the fence up to that point, how do you think they'll vote?

As Twain is famously quoted as saying, "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Just something to think about.

6 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, October 02, 2006, Blogger sliverthetomcat said...

There certainly are many conservative groups that are avid protesters.

The most obvious that comes to mind would be the Pro Life groups that protest abortion clinics.

 
At 7:03 AM, October 03, 2006, Blogger Dad29 said...

Interesting observation.

Frankly, I think the anti-Amendment advertising is NOT helping them.

Wrong "faces" representing the arguments.

Like the Doyle ad (since pulled) which had the mom with the AWFUL voice, grating, grating, grating...

 
At 8:45 AM, October 03, 2006, Blogger David Casper said...

Sliver, I'll agree with you on the abortion protesters. They are advocating a traditionally conservative viewpoint and using protesting to get their point across.

But as someone who shares their views (to a point), I'm certainly not happy with their tactics. Their approach is as alienating as when liberals do it. Shoving pictures of aborted fetuses in people's faces doesn't make a lot of friends.

By contrast, nearly every liberal cause is in your face.

 
At 5:39 PM, October 03, 2006, Blogger Chris said...

both sides have problems like this I could point out a certain ban supporter who liked to use the term fudge packer supporters when speaking of people who don't support the band.

That being said the no people have had a problem with a very small minority on their side that doesn't understand they need people like Elliot and myself who are normally Conservatives but are against the band for what ever reason.
They cannot win without us and I have stated in comments at their site that attacking people who I consider my friends is not a good way to bring people like me into their fold.

I will say its odd being on this side of the fence lol

But in the end I will vote no and I will put my vote no yard sign right next to my Mark Green yard sign.

 
At 2:30 PM, October 05, 2006, Blogger Renees Take said...

How about the small group of conservative nutbags who threw this amendment down OUR throats??? We progressives didn't ask for this fight in Wisconsin. Your conservative religious right nutbags wanted this conversation and forced us to have it. If you're going to be irritated at all about this amendment it should be that it exists at all...and then you should be looking at who created it, why they created it and hold them accountable for wasting all of our time.

 
At 8:24 PM, October 05, 2006, Blogger Chris said...

Yeah, if the no people lose this fight it will be because of people like Crawford.

Listen Crawford I dont believe in God but take offense at you calling people I consider my friends Religious Rightwing nutbags you Jerk. I dont agree with them on this issue but you dont see us insulting each other. Its people like you who will drive undecided Conservative votes that the no camp needs if they really have a hope of defeating this amendment(which I hope they do) into the Yes camp. Keep up the good work Crawford your just helping the people you are fighting

 

Post a Comment

<< Home