Monday, January 15, 2007

I hate MLK Day!

Now let me be absolutely clear on this before anyone accuses me of being a racist. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Martin Luther King, Jr. the man and his accomplishments. However, I have long held a grudge against the day celebrating him. You see, it just so happened that in 1989 MLK day fell on my birthday. It also so happened that 1989 was the year I turned 16.

What's the most important thing to someone turning 16?

That's right...getting your driver's license. And any 16-year-old, misplaced priorities and all, is going to do everything in their power to get that license on their birthday.

But what happens at the DMV on MLK day?

They close!

CLOSED!

The horrors!

No driver's license for at least another day!

And so, for 18 years, I've been pissed at MLK Day.

Someday, maybe I'll get over it.

At least I do have the comfort of knowing that MLK and I have so very much in common. Below you'll see what sort of people are born in January. I would say this describes both Dr. King and me to tee.

Your Birth Month is January
You are a natural leader who is able to stand up when no one else can.Strong and powerful, you tend to overshadow those around you.
Your soul reflects: deep love, fascination with life, and a distinctive persona
Your gemstone: Garnet
Your flower: Snowdrop
Your colors: Black, dark red, and dark blue

Thanks to Nick for the link.

3 Comments:

At 4:50 PM, January 15, 2007, Blogger Phelony Jones said...

Dear Casper,

Try to think of it as "MLK Day Is On My Birthday" as opposed to "My Birthday is On MLK Day" :) Either way, I want my day off.

Phel

 
At 1:26 PM, January 16, 2007, Blogger Nick said...

Happy Birthday!

 
At 12:04 PM, January 18, 2007, Blogger Renees Take said...

Happy Birthday Dave! Even if it's 2 days late. 34 isn't old yet. 35 is when it really hit me...

Rae

 

Post a Comment

<< Home