Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The Fun of Blogging

I've finally come to terms with something regarding blogging, and that's that I really only want to do it if it's fun. If ever I find myself investing so much time into a post that it seems more like work than a hobby, I start to develop a strong distaste for doing it at all. And lately, when it comes to writing about current events, politics or Eugene Kane, it just hasn't been that fun.

That's why I'm really enjoying doing The Unpleasantness. Writing the posts and being an overall belligerent a$$ comes so much more naturally to me than anything I do here. Now, don't think for a moment that will excuse you from having to toil through my opinions on more meaningful matters, which will remain here, just realize that I've gotta be me, and it's The Unpleasantness that lets me do it.

What I'm getting at here is some advice for any blogger who struggles to write something on a regular basis. If you're forcing yourself to do it but not really enjoying it, then take a moment to consider what it is you're writing in the first place. I've started about 20 different novels over the years, and have found that the ones I get the furthest into are the ones I truly enjoy writing. If writing it is too much a chore, then how am I ever to expect anyone to enjoy reading it? The same goes for this little world we have here. Don't bother commenting on a topic just because you feel you need to. Write about it only if you want to. Your final product will be so much better and enjoyable to read, and you'll eliminate a lot of unnecessary stress from your life.

Of course, all of this really only applies if you're blogging as a hobby, and not as a job, in which case you should ignore absolutely everything I've just said and get your butt back to work!

1 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, March 07, 2007, Blogger Kate said...

You mean people actually make a living out of doing this? Where did I go wrong! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home