Tuesday, July 10, 2007

So long, Tookie

Several years ago a friend brought over a parrot that was no longer wanted by its owner.

Over the next several days, my roommate at the time and I tried to come up with a name for this bird.

One night, my roommate, an Israeli, kept talking to the bird and saying, "Tookie! Tookie! Tookie!"

When I asked him what he was saying, he told me that 'tookie' was Hebrew for 'parrot."

So, basically, he was sitting on the couch saying "Parrot! Parrot! Parrot!"

And so we named Tookie.

Tookie passed away a couple of months ago. Had I not 'retired' from blogging, I may have written my post in honor of him then.

But I didn't.

So I'm doing it now.

So long, Tookie. I'll miss you sleeping on my chest and leading every other animal around the house, demonstrating just which one of you was the smartest one under the roof.

Keep one leg up, and your head tucked under your wing.

2 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, July 10, 2007, Blogger Tanker311 said...

Oh man! Sorry to hear that. Tookie almost gave me a heartattack one time when I was watching the dog.

I came into your house about 2:30 a.m. and he let out a squawk that nearly ruptured my ear drums.

I didn't even know you had a bird at that time, so it scared the bajezus out of me!

Tookie will be missed.

 
At 9:39 PM, July 11, 2007, Blogger Nick said...

Sorry man... Sounds like he'll be missed by the entire household when they won't know where to go without their leader.

*sniffle*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home