Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Burning Freezing Question of the Day

I really don't feel like going through all the trouble of setting up a real poll, and I truly appreciate the more subjective feedback comments offer, so I'm just going to ask our dear four or five readers to answer this question in the comments section:

Given today's weather, an ice storm warning from the National Weather Service, countless school closings and the WHITE DEATH now descending on SE Wisconsin, what do you think the appropriate response from are businesses should be? Should they send their employees home before it gets too bad? What is too bad? Should they pretend nothing is happening and hope for the best? Is the weather really all that bad? Should an employer err on the side of caution?

You tell me!

5 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, December 11, 2007, Blogger steveegg said...

Call me a tough hard-boiled egg, but I don't see this as particularily tough just yet. I do, however, recognize the difference between "not so bad" and "oh <string of expletives deleted>" is literally a matter of a degree or two here and 10-20 miles there. I remember not having power for 3 days after an ice storm, I remember going through 3/4" ice and a foot of snow (both in an empty 1-ton cargo van). That's not fun.

As for employers, there is a difference between them and school officials. Employers deal with adults who, at least theoretically, are smart enough to deal with this. As long as they have power, I say keep them open.

Slightly-off topic; can we expect you at tonight's Drinking Right?

 
At 12:41 PM, December 11, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kind of hard to generalize. But if it would seriously impact things, safety first.

Seriously though there are people in my office that I can guarantee you I will never see not just in white death but in white annoyance.

 
At 3:09 PM, December 11, 2007, Blogger Jib said...

Depends. If it is a retail/restaurant/hospitality situation, you let some people who are worried go home because you are going to be over staffed, anyway. If it is a business office, you take it on a case by case basis. The guy that lives two miles away doesn't have a very good excuse for having to leave. The one with an hour commute probably does. And sending them home isn't just a "nice guy/gal" decision. You have an investment in those people, and you don't want to lose them for a week, a month, a year, forever because you wouldn't let them drive when it was safer.

 
At 3:02 AM, May 21, 2020, Blogger whatsapp plus said...

I enjoyed reading your article. Please make more interesting topics like this on.
I'll come back for more :) putlockerfree.rocks

 
At 9:50 AM, May 27, 2021, Blogger bestpressurecooker said...

Indian cricketer Hardik Pandya has engaged with Bollywood actress Natasha Stankovic. Hardik and Natasha Stankovic had been
Bike Racing 3D Mod Apk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home