Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Friendship

There was this time in my life when things were really going the wrong way, and things ended up getting a lot worse before they got better. And later, when my dad died, I thought happiness was, in the logical formula sense, necessarilly no longer available to me.

I guess one of the things that makes me lucky is that I had a friend who once wrote me something that has had such an impact on my life I've never forgotten it. When I needed it, I used to read it and I needed it so much that I got to the point that I just remembered it. He was a great friend and this is what he wrote:

I too often wonder how I came to be travelling along this particular path, though these thoughts are not very productive. Through it all there is one promise I have made to myself, although I know I am no better at keeping promises to myself than are others, but that is to keep things in perspective.

I have travelled too far, read too much and seen too many to ever believe that my suffering somehow sets the standard, provides the ruler, or is the litmus test against which all other suffering should be examined.

While this does not lessen the burden I bear, it does keep things in perspective.

What I appreciate most about that whole piece is the last sentence. Knowing that other people have it worse, doesn't take away any of the struggle you might be facing. Your hurt and your pain are yours to bear and it's as simple as that. What it does do, is keep things in perspective, and sometimes that's enough to help you believe that things will get better. And that's a good thing, because they will.

The beautiful thing about friendship is, friends make life tolerable when life doesn't seem to be giving up any of the goods.

Sometimes frienship is whacking ya upside the head when ya need it.

Sometimes it's just knowing when you need some time and space.

Sometimes it's vetoing your right to time and space and dragging you out for a beer.

Whatever your idea of friendship is, I hope you know that you've got people around you who care about you and who would do anything to help you out.

...Even if they aren't good enough to be in the BBA.

4 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, August 31, 2006, Blogger Billiam said...

My rule is this. When I wake up and start getting ready for work, I look in the mirror and laugh at myself. Just look at my picture, I AM funny looking. That keeps my perspective straight.

 
At 11:47 PM, August 31, 2006, Blogger Tanker311 said...

God bless you Billiam! :)

 
At 7:10 AM, September 01, 2006, Blogger sliverthetomcat said...

After fighting through so many different challenges in life it is a wonderful feeling to be able to step back and laugh at yourself.

 
At 7:29 PM, September 04, 2006, Blogger Disgruntled Car Salesman said...

Life is tough. It's really tough.

Sometimes I just want to take a step back and look at what I'm doing and try to figure it all out.

Why do a lot of things happen?

Why is there senseless violence?

Why do bad things seem to happen to good people?

I don't want to get religious on anyone in here, so I won't. But outside of that, there are a couple important things in my life that keep me going and keep me happy. I think that you have to find those important things in your life and never let them go. Ever. Once you do, everything else seems really clear.

With that, I leave you with this thought...

"During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home